Research InterestsPaul Watson is Manager of the Fibre Supply and Quality Program at Paprican. His research interests include the development of rapid assessment tools for wood and fibre quality, the relationship between stand level indicators including site quality and wood and fibre quality, the relationship between silvicultural treatment and fibre quality, pulp and paper fibre supply value chain modeling and optimization, product opportunities from underutilized wood species, and genetic improvement to maximize wood and fibre quality. He is leading the EvaluTree initiative to establish North America's premier wood and fibre quality analysis facility.
- Watson, P. A.; Gee, W.; Johal, S. S.; Reath, S. M.; Yuen, B. K.; Hussein, A., “The pulping properties of second-growth western hemlock: part II thermomechanical pulping”, Pulp & Paper Canada (2005), 106(7/8), 44-47.
- Watson, P. A.; Gee, W.; Johal, S. S.; Reath, S. M.; Yuen, B. K.; Hussein, A., “The pulping properties of second-growth western hemlock: part I. Kraft pulping”, Pulp & Paper Canada (2005), 106(7/8), 39-43.
- Mischki, T.; Bicho, P.; Watson, P.; Gee, W.; Drummond, J., “The effects of decadent western hemlock on pulping and pulp properties”, Pulp Pap Can 106, (1): 49-56 (2005)
- Johal, Surjit; Yuen, Bernard; Watson, Paul, “The effects of species on the thermomechanical pulping of balsam fir, black spruce, red spruce, and white spruce”, Annual Meeting Preprints - Pulp and Paper Technical Association of Canada, 91st, Montreal, QC, Canada, Feb. 8-10, 2005 (2005 ), Volume C, C55-C63. Pulp and Paper Technical Association of Canada: Montreal, Que.
- Woo, Kathy L.; Watson, Paul; Mansfield, Shawn D., “The effects of mountain pine beetle attack on lodgepole pine wood morphology and chemistry: Implications for wood and fiber quality”, Wood and Fiber Science (2005 ), 37(1), 112-126.
- Watson, Paul, Potter, Simon., “Burned wood in the pulp and paper industry: A literature review”, For. Chron., (2005), Vol. 80(4), pp. 473-477.
- Pitts, Shanley; Bicho, Paul; Watson, Paul, “Rapid prediction of fiber properties: opportunities using forest site classification methods”, Preprint - Annual Meeting, Pulp and Paper Technical Association of Canada, 90th, Montreal, QC, Canada, Jan. 27-29, 2004 (2004), Volume A, A185-A193. Pulp and Paper Technical Association of Canada: Montreal, Que.
- Potter, S.; Watson, P. A., “Preliminary correlations between traits and genetic mapping of fiber length and growth determinants in hybrid poplars”, Pulp & Paper Canada (2004), 105(1), 38-45.
- Watson, Paul ; Hussein, Ashif; Reath, Sandy; Gee, Wai; Hatton, John; Drummond, James, “The kraft pulping properties of Canadian red and sugar maple”, Tappi Journal (2003 ), 2(6), 26-32.
- Watson, Paul; Garner, Cameron; Robertson, Robin; Reath, Sandy; Gee, Wai; Hunt, Ken, “The effects of initial tree spacing on the fibre properties of plantation-grown coastal western hemlock”, Can. J. For. Res., Vol. 33(12), pp. 2460-2468.
- Fernandez, M. P.; Breuil, C.; Watson, P. A., ”Natural clonal variation of wood extractives in Populus tremuloides”, Canadian Journal of Forest Research (2002), 32(7), 1192-1199.
- Watson, Paul ; Potter, Simon, “Pulp and paper industry opportunities from aspen and hybrid poplars”, TAPPI Pulping/Process and Product Quality Conference, Boston, MA, United States, Nov. 5-8, (2000), 670-680. TAPPI Press: Atlanta, Ga.
- Fernandez, M. P.; Watson, P. A.; Breuil, C., “Gas chromatography-mass spectrometry method for the simultaneous determination of wood extractive compounds in quaking aspen”, Journal of Chromatography, A (2001), 922(1-2), 225-233.
- Wang, H. H.; Drummond, J. G.; Reath, S. M.; Hunt, K.; Watson, P. A., “An improved fibril angle measurement method for wood fibres”, Wood Science and Technology (2001), 34(6), 493-503.
- Potter, Simon; Watson, Paul, “Preliminary correlations between traits and genetic mapping of fibre length and growth determinants in hybrid poplars”, Annual Meet Tech Sect Can Pulp Pap Assoc Prepr, Volume B, B195-B206. 87th Annual Meeting. 2001
- Morrison, Darryl; Potter, Simon; Thomas, Barbara; Watson, Paul, “Wood quality ranking of plantation trees”, Tappi Journal (2000), 83(12), 55.
- Cisneros, Hector A.; Belanger, Lynn; Gee, Wai Y.; Watson, Paul A. ; Hatton, John V, “Wood and fiber properties of hybrid poplars from southern British Columbia”, Tappi Journal (2000 ), 83(7), 60.